Connect with us

Goal

Pele admitted for tumor treatment

Published

on

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AFP) — Brazilian football legend Pele has been hospitalized for treatment of a previously identified colon tumor, his doctors said Wednesday, the latest health issue for the 81-year-old icon.

The three-time world champion was admitted to Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo “for follow-up treatment of the colon tumor identified in September this year,” his medical team said in a statement.

“The patient is stable, and is expected to be released in the coming days.”

It did not say when Pele was hospitalized.

Pele underwent surgery for the tumor on 4 September, spending a month in the hospital before being released to continue chemotherapy.

The star’s public relations agency described the latest hospital stay as routine.

“He went in for chemo. He always has to go to the hospital for the treatment,” it said in a note.

Considered by many the greatest footballer of all time, Edson Arantes do Nascimento — Pele’s real name — has been in poor health in recent years, and has spent various stints in the hospital.

He has used a walker at his latest public appearances, which have grown increasingly rare.

Advertisement

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Advertisement
Advertisement