National Police chief Gen. Dionardo Carlos on Tuesday ordered an investigation into the killing of an incumbent councilor seeking re-election in Sarrat, Ilocos Norte.
Councilor Apolonio Medrano was shot several times on Monday, when he was about to board his vehicle after attending the town’s flag-raising ceremony, Carlos said, citing field reports.
The 69-year-old Medrano, a retired PNP intelligence officer, was brought to a local hospital due to bullet wounds to the different parts of the body, but doctors declared him dead.
Medrano was seeking re-election as councilor in next year’s polls, under the Nacionalista Party, a list of candidates from the Commission on Elections showed.
Investigators are still trying to identify and locate the assailant, whom witnesses said wore a jacket and fled aboard a motorcycle.
Carlos extended condolences to Medrano’s family.
“Our investigators are exerting all effort to uncover this case. Let’s see where the evidence will lead us in this investigation. So far, it’s early to say that this is election-related,” he said.