Connect with us

Headline

Face shields won’t return

The Philippines on Tuesday recorded a total of 425 new Covid-19 cases, the lowest daily recorded cases since July 2020, the Department of Health said.

Published

on

The Department of Health (DoH) on Tuesday said there is no need to bring back the face shield use policy due to the continuous decline in the number of the daily reported cases.

In an interview, DoH Epidemiology Bureau Director Dr. Thea de Guzman said the agency will let private establishments decide whether to make the use of face shields mandatory.

“As transmission goes down, we really need to open sectors, but also in a safe manner. Right now, masks will be able to provide us that benefit or protection,” De Guzman said.

“We leave it to private establishments. But right now, there is no need at this very low transmission level to use face shields,” she added.

The same sentiment was echoed by the World Health Organization (WHO)country representative Dr. Rabindra Abeyasinghe, reiterating that the wearing of face shields should still be voluntary.

“We’ve always taken the stance that we’re not mandating vaccines. People should be free to decide what’s best for them,” Abeyasinghe said during the Laging Handa public briefing.

 

425 new Covid-19 cases

Meanwhile, the Philippines on Tuesday recorded a total of 425 new Covid-19 cases, the lowest daily recorded cases since July 2020, the DoH said.

The lowest daily reported cases were on 2 July 2020, when recorded cases were 294. The newly-confirmed cases are also the seventh consecutive day that cases were below 1,000.

Based on its latest case bulletin, the fresh infections pushed the country’s total caseload to 2,832,734, of which 15,800 are tagged as active cases.

Of the active cases, 47.5 percent are mild, 5.3 percent are asymptomatic, 16 percent are severe, and 6.8 percent are in critical condition.

Meanwhile, the agency reported 909 new recoveries which brought the country’s total recovered patients to 2,768,389.

The country’s Covid-19 death toll is now at 48,545 after 44 new fatalities were recorded.

Out of the 24,442 individuals who were screened for Covid-19 on 28 November, 2.1 percent turned out positive.

The DoH noted that three duplicates were removed from the total case count. Of these, two are tagged as recoveries.

“In addition, 63 cases were found to have tested negative and have been removed from the total case count. These 63 are recoveries,” the agency said.

“Moreover, 37 cases that were previously tagged as recoveries were reclassified as deaths after final validation,” it added.

Advertisement

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Advertisement
Advertisement