Former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio on Friday returned to Cebu, the country’s most vote-rich province, as an official tandem for president and vice president for the 2022 elections.
The two joined the 2022 Regional Planning of the League of Municipalities of the Philippines — Central Visayas (LMP-Central Visayas) in Cebu City where they met municipal mayors of Region 7, the Central Visayas region.
Marcos and Duterte-Carpio last visited the province during the last week of October. At that time, the president’s daughter was determined to seek reelection as Davao City mayor next year while Marcos didn’t have a running mate yet.
Senatorial aspirant and former presidential spokesperson Harry Roque, and House Majority Leader Martin Romualdez were also present at the conference.
In her speech, Duterte-Carpio recalled her visit to the province in July. She said this was the month when her supporters’ appeal for her to run for president became “intense,” with some holding simultaneous prayer vigils around the country.
It was in July when she bared her “openness” to run for president in 2022 after consulting with Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia at the Capitol.
At first, she disclosed, she did not have any option but to seek reelection until she was offered to become Marcos’ running mate.
Through this, the president’s daughter said she can meet her supporters “halfway”.
Duterte-Carpio also revealed she and her running mate were invited by LMP president and Narvacan, Ilocos Sur Mayor Luis Chavit Singson to participate in the event and speak with several local chief executives.
Here, Singson, a business tycoon, expressed his support to Marcos, branding him as the one destined to be the next Philippine president.
Marcos Jr. is the son and namesake of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, Sr., who was ousted through the People Power Revolution in 1986. Edsa was a huge protest held by millions of Filipinos who became united in overthrowing Marcos Sr. and ending his 20-year rule.
After four days of mass protests, the Marcos family, including Marcos Jr., fled the country for Hawaii, taking with them bundles of cash and gold, along with numerous expensive artworks which were found to have been funded with stolen money from the country’s coffers.
The Marcos family have lost cases in courts and have been ordered to return parts of the money the courts — both local and in the United States — have found they’ve looted during their 21-year reign.