Connect with us

Pulso ng bayan

Lorenzana: Parlade remarks vs. Bong Go ‘baseless’

Published

on

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana dismisses the remarks made by retired general Antonio Parlade Jr. against presidential candidate Senator Christopher 'Bong' Go as baseless. (File photo)

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana dismissed retired general Antonio Parlade Jr.’s remarks against presidential candidate Sen. Bong Go as “baseless.”

“Lt. Gen. Parlade’s statement is baseless. In the years I have known the President, he has always been his own man. The President stands by his own decisions, has always been firm in his directives to us who are working for him, and is not as easily swayed or influenced by others as purported by the general,” Lorenzana said in a statement issued by his office Monday night.

Lorenzana was referring to remarks made by Parlade, who said earlier in the day that he does not like Go’s actions, including “controlling the decisions of the President.”

“I cannot align with Sen. Bong Go. I’m sorry, but isa siya, kasama siya, sa problema ng bayan natin,” said Parlade.

Parlade, erstwhile head of the AFP Southern Luzon Command and spokesperson of the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict, made the remarks after filing his candidacy for president at the Commission on Elections.

Those were replies to queries on why he opted not to run alongside Go since he, too, supports President Duterte.

Parlade did not elaborate on his remarks though, only telling the media to ask the public, government workers, the Armed Forces, the Army, and even Lorenzana himself.

Lorenzana, for his part, said Go has assisted the DND in ensuring the doubling of the salaries of the uniformed personnel as directed by the chief executive when he was still special assistant to the president, and even now as senator.

“He (Go) has also been consistent in strongly supporting DND in all its programs and modernization efforts. In all these endeavors, Bong Go’s support to the DND and AFP has not abated. He has always been our main bridge to the President and I have not known any instance when [he] acted outside the wishes and decisions of the President,” the defense chief said.

In light of the remarks made by Parlade, who retired from military service just recently, Lorenzana assured that the AFP remains supportive of the government.

“The AFP remains a professional organization that continues to work in the interest of the Filipino people, regardless of the prevailing political landscape. There is no truth to the allegations that there is brewing trouble or discontent in the AFP,” Lorenzana said.

Advertisement

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Advertisement
Advertisement