Is it a television drama? No. It’s just another day in Philippine politics.
President Rodrigo Duterte may go head-to-head with Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio in the 2022 vice presidential race — in what could be a first father-daughter face off in the country’s national political scene.
Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar announced on Saturday that the older Duterte would return to the Commission on Elections (Comelec) office next week to file his certificate of candidacy (COC) for the vice presidency.
“He will return to Comelec office on Monday. This a developing story,” Andanar told reporters.
The deadline for withdrawal and substitution for national and local elections aspirants is set on 15 November.
Duterte-Carpio, who filed her COC to join the vice presidential race earlier in the day, has yet to comment on the matter at press time.
The President was in Comelec office in Manila on Saturday as he accompanied his trusted ally, Sen. Christopher “Bong” Go, who withdrew his COC for vice president to pursue the top government post in the upcoming elections.
Go would seek the presidency under the banner of Pederalismo ng Dugong Dakilang Samahan (PDDS), a national political party accredited by Comelec in 2018. He has yet to explain why he would not serve as the standard bearer of PDP Laban.
The ruling party is left without a presidential bet after Sen. Ronald Dela Rosa also withdrew his COC for the presidency, saying it was a “party decision.”
The developments came after Duterte-Carpio’s sudden transfer to Lakas-CMD to run as its vice presidential bet, leaving PDP Laban in uncertainty.
The President’s eldest daughter is a frontrunner in the presidential race, earning the backing of at least five political parties.
Long before her father became president, she made headlines for punching a court sheriff in public in an apparent effort to delay a local demolition, earning her a reputation of a feisty, headstrong leader — just like the older Duterte who remains popular months before he steps down from office.
Partido Federal ng Pilipinas said its standard bearer Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. would adopt Duterte-Carpio as his vice presidential candidate in next year’s elections.