Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go refused to speculate on the plans of the Duterte family for the 2022 National Elections — although he is still “wishing for the best” as his vice-presidential run hangs with an awaited decision whether Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio would run for president.
“I don’t want to speculate on their family’s plan. I have a party with President Rodrigo Duterte and whatever his decision is, I will abide,” Go told reporters during a visit to poor families in Antipolo City on Tuesday. “After all, my candidacy was also his decision”.
Go is running for vice president under President Duterte’s faction inside the ruling Partido Demokratiko Pilipino Lakas ng Bayan (PDP Laban) alongside Senator Ronald “Bato” de la Rosa, the presidential candidate.
He previously said he is “100 percent” sure about his vice-presidential bid but had advised the public to expect changes in his party’s slate in the coming days.
Go did not elaborate on those “changes” but dropped hints that it was related to the deadline of the period of substitution of candidates on 15 November.
On Tuesday, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio also withdrew her candidacy for reelection as local chief executive of her hometown for a third and final term.
She was replaced by her brother Davao City Vice Mayor Baste Duterte, who also dropped his reelection bid for vice mayor.
The recent developments sparked speculations that Duterte-Carpio would be seeking a national post — a move that Go supported.
He added that he should be the “least” of his party’s worries as he assured that he will follow the decision of President Duterte.
“I’m the least of their problems. I love President Duterte so as I said, let us just wait for 15 November if there will be changes. There are only two positions, I filed for vice president for the last 39 days. Where will I go if there will be changes?” he said.
“Let’s just wait for the decision of the party and President Duterte,” he added.