Connect with us

Page three

Thorough Maguindanao blast probe ordered

Our police investigators should not leave any stone unturned in determining the motive and identifying the perpetrator of the grenade blast. Let us look into all angles of this incident

Published

on

National Police chief Gen. Guillermo Eleazar directed the Bangsamoro regional police to conduct a thorough probe into the grenade explosion that occurred near a convoy of Maguindanao Rep. Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu over the weekend.

“Our police investigators should not leave any stone unturned in determining the motive and identifying the perpetrator of the grenade blast. Let us look into all angles of this incident,” Eleazar said.

The blast happened just as a convoy of some 20 to 30 vehicles of Mangudadatu and his group passed by an Army detachment in Guindulungan town last Saturday.

Initial information indicated that a hand grenade was thrown towards the detachment.

Investigators are now in touch with Mangudadatu, as well as soldiers manning the detachment, to get more information, Eleazar said.

Mangudadatu is again running for governor of Maguindanao in the 2022 national and local elections.

He previously held that position from 2010 to 2019, following a win that came on the heels of the infamous 2009 Maguindanao massacre.

That incident, considered as the country’s worst election-related attack, left 57 people, including several media workers and some members of Magudadatu’s family, dead.

Eleazar reminded all police units in Bangsamoro to remain vigilant and to work with the military to prevent any attack from lawless elements, especially during this election season.

Advertisement

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Advertisement
Advertisement