The government has urged the public anew to prevent mass gatherings during the holiday season, saying Halloween parties and Christmas celebrations should be limited among households or “family bubbles” amid the coronavirus pandemic.
In a televised briefing Saturday, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire appealed to Filipinos to skip big parties as part of observing health protocols due to the persisting threat of Covid-19.
“Mass gatherings remain prohibited, but parties within family bubbles are allowed,” she said.
Vergeire also reminded the public that celebrations among households should be done safely or in areas that are well-ventilated.
Gatherings, she added, should be avoided in closed areas and crowded places where participants will have close contact with one another.
“Let us ensure that we observe safety protocols such as wearing of masks and physical distancing. We also ask those who are experiencing Covid-19 symptoms to avoid parties,” Vergeire said.
While the nationwide Covid-19 daily tally has been decreasing, the health official said the public should observe protocols to curb coronavirus transmission.
“We need to be reminded that restrictions are still in place for our welfare,” Vergeire said.
It was not the first time that the government asked the public to skip Christmas festivities to avoid spreading or catching Covid-19.
No less than President Rodrigo Duterte appealed to Filipinos last year to refrain from attending gatherings amid the pandemic.
The Philippines, a predominantly Catholic nation, is known for hosting family reunions as well as parties in schools and workplaces during the Yuletide season.
At present, some 2.75 million individuals have been infected by coronavirus in the country, of which 41,800 have died.