Connect with us

Metro

19,014 violators prompt PNP reassessment

Eleazar considers fielding more cops in Metro Manila to ensure health protocols are strictly followed under Alert Level 3

Published

on

Over 19,000 violators since the easing of the quarantine in Metro Manila to Alert Level 3 have been recorded until Sunday, prompting Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Guillermo Eleazar to consider Monday fielding more cops in the capital region.

Eleazar ordered unit commanders in the National Capital Region (NCR) to coordinate closely with local government units to ensure that minimum health protocols to stem the spread of Covid-19 are still being strictly enforced.

People flocked to churches, parks, malls and at Manila’s dolomite beach during the first weekend under Level 3, raising concerns Covid infections may soon rise even if the virus reproduction rate at NCR has fallen to 0.57.

“I have tasked all concerned police offices to determine if there is a need to deploy more cops to enforce the minimum health standards,” Eleazar said as he visited the National Capital Region Police Office headquarters and various police districts in the Metro.

“If we want the number of Covid-19 patients to continue to decrease, discipline and adherence to the rules under Alert Level 3 must still be enforced,” he added.

As to the mobility of minors, Eleazar said the PNP shall wait for guidance from the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases amid the opening of more businesses.

PNP data showed Monday that 19,014 quarantine violators had been recorded in Metro Manila, with 57 percent being warned, 36 percent fined and eight percent facing other sanctions.

Of the number, 11,125 violators were reported on Sunday, including 8,273 who were found to have violated the minimum public health standards.

Meanwhile, 5,058 people, including 2,809 reported on Sunday, violated the curfew hours from 12 midnight to 4 a.m.

A fraction of the violations, 125 in all, concerned being outside of residence for those not authorized to go out like minors.

Alert Level 3 was made possible by Covid-19 cases going down. It would be in effect until 31 October, with some experts saying it may be eased down further to Alert 2 in November.

Under the present level, a number of commercial establishments are allowed to operate at 30 percent of their indoor venue capacity but only for fully vaccinated individuals and 50 percent of their outdoor venue capacity.

The proviso is that all the employees of the establishments reopening, including cinemas, must be fully vaccinated.

Some 83 areas in the NCR have remained under granular of localized lockdowns, a number that has gone down from triple digits last week.

Advertisement

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Advertisement
Advertisement