Manny Pacquiao didn’t respond directly to questions about retirement yesterday afternoon and instead admitted that he may have over-trained when he lost to Yordenis Ugas of Cuba last month in Las Vegas.
“Addicted to training,” Pacquiao told Daily Tribune.
Pacquiao, 42, dropped a 12-round unanimous decision to Ugas before 17,433 fans at the T-Mobile Arena.
Speaking from the Conrad Hotel, where he and his family have been quarantined since Monday after arriving from Los Angeles, Pacquiao brushed off talks about a return to the ring in December or even in January.
“I am not giving it much thought right now because my focus is on helping the poor and the needy,” Pacquiao said.
Pacquiao said his men have been going around the country distributing help.
“What they need now is assistance. That’s the most important thing right now.”
Turning to boxing again, Pacquiao swears he still has it.
“I still went 12 full rounds (against Ugas). It’s just that I just kept on pushing on pushing. I just love to train and I may have burned myself out.”
“My legs were also hurting. I couldn’t move the way I wanted to,” Pacquiao said, explaining that when he beat Keith Thurman in July 2019, his legs simply didn’t fail him.
Still, Pacquiao made it clear that he was not making excuses, stressing that he was convinced he was still competitive despite the loss.
“But, right now, boxing’s not on top of my priority list. Public service is.”
Pacquiao was supposed to battle Errol Spence but the undefeated Texan failed an eye examination eleven days before the fight and Ugas was then inserted as a replacement.