Connect with us


Heavy rains, flashfloods drench El Nido town



Photo courtesy of PCG

Around 50 people, including two infants, were rescued by the operatives of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) in El Nido, Palawan from the flashfloods caused by last Thursday evening’s heavy downpour.

Reports reaching the PCG headquarters in Manila bared that torrential rainfall submerged Sitio Danat in Barangay Manlag, El Nido around 7 p.m.


PCG District Palawan Commander, Commodore Genito Basilio said they immediately deployed personnel and assets to assist the local government units of El Nido and other concerned government agencies bring the affected residents to safe place.

Personnel of the PCG Station El Nido, PCG Special Operations Force (SOF), BRP Bojeador (AE-46), BRP Cabra (MRRV-4409), BRP Malapascua (MRRV-4403), as well as PCG-manned BFAR vessels, MCS-3002, MCS-3004, and MCS-3007 also augmented the rescue efforts.

The PCG also dispatched personnel to assist rescue and evacuation efforts in Barangay Pasadeña, Barangay Barotuan, and Barangay Libertad.


Meanwhile, the PCG also rendered assistance to a motorbanca, which encountered engine trouble while underway to take shelter during the height of torrential rainfall.

Personnel of PCG Station El Nido on board speedboat, MB Excalibur (MB-0109) assisted said motorbanca until it safely arrived at El Nido Floating Dock in Barangay Buena Suerte, El Nido.

MB Excalibur (MB-0109) was donated by Department of Transportation (DOTr) Secretary Arthur P. Tugade and Commodore Paul Louie P. Tugade PCGA to PCG Station El Nido on 16 January 2021 to intensify Coast Guard presence in the municipality.

“Despite our pressing mandate and firm commitment to ensure maritime security and maritime safety in the West Philippine Sea and the Kalayaan Island Group, rest assured the PCG District Palawan and Coast Guard vessels under the Task Force Pagsasanay will always be there to render humanitarian assistance to the people of Palawan,” Commodore Basilio said.

Majority of the evacuated residents were already able to return to their homes after floodwaters subsided the next day.