The pandemic task force has reimposed a two-week modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) in Davao City upon the recommendation of the city government, the Palace announced Friday.
Presidential spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque said Davao City would be placed under the second strictest lockdown classification starting Friday until 20 June in an effort to curb coronavirus transmission in the area.
Meanwhile, the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) placed the General Santos City under a less restrictive general community quarantine from 5 to 30 June instead of modified GCQ.
Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio earlier appealed to the IATF to reverse its decision to place the area under GCQ due to a fresh surge of infections.
In a letter addressed to the Interior Undersecretary Epimaco Densing III, who chairs the IATF’s screening and validation committee, Duterte-Carpio said the city has 1,665 active cases as of Monday.
Data from the Department of Health’s Davao region showed an increase in Covid-19 cases for the month of May due to the clustering of cases where people usually convened in workplaces and gatherings.
There were 783 cases in the Davao region for the first week of May, 754 during the second week, 961 during the third week, and 1,772 during the fourth week.
Under MECQ, mass gatherings were prohibited, except those essential for the provision of health services or humanitarian activities authorized by government agencies.
Entertainment and recreational sites such as amusement parks, outdoor and indoor sports courts, fitness studios, gyms, tourist attractions, libraries, archives, museums, galleries, and cultural shows, and exhibits were also prohibited.
Meanwhile, individual outdoor exercises such as outdoor walks, jogging, running or biking were allowed within the general area of their residences including within the barangays, subdivisions, or villages but minimum public health standards and precautions should be observed.
Religious activities were allowed in MECQ areas up to 10 percent of the venue capacity.
The country has so far recorded 1.24 million coronavirus cases with nearly 21,300 fatalities.