Connect with us


DITO passes technical audit on rollout pledge

Maria Romero



DITO Telecommunity Corporation hurdled the technical audit of its first-year rollout commitments after an Independent auditor said the telecom company exceeded the required broadband speed for its first year of operation. PHOTOGRAPH COURTESY OF DITO

Telecommunications duopoly challenger DITO Telecommunity Corporation has passed the technical audit of its first-year rollout commitments.

Independent auditor R.G. Manabat & Co., on Monday, reported that DITO exceeded the required broadband speed for its first year of operation.

The report indicated that DITO provides a minimum average broadband speed of 85.9 megabits per second (Mbps) for 4G and 507.5Mbps for 5G.

“Near the base station registered 102.4Mbps (4G) and 769.1Mbps (5G), middle point registered 91.2Mbps (4G) and 437.1Mbps (5G), and far from the base station registered 64.4Mbps (4G) and 316.5Mbps (5G),” the report read.

In its assessment, R.G. Manabat & Co. also noted that DITO’s first-year coverage reached 37.48 percent or 37 million households based on the 2015 population data. The reach covered a total of 8,860 barangays.

The auditor used a stratified random sampling to choose 12 percent of the 1,602 cell sites for field testing.

Using TEMS investigation software V22.00, three different tests were conducted for each location — near the base station, middle point and far from the base station.

As of press time, DITO has yet to reply to queries about this development in its rollout.

DITO, which was granted the third telco status to challenge the duopoly of telco giants Globe Telecom Inc. and PLDT Inc., completed its first 5G phone and video calls in October 2020.

Commercial rollout preparation
It is currently manufacturing SIM cards in preparation for their commercial rollout in March. To date, DITO still has no subscribers in the network.

Based on its agreements with the government, DITO is initially required to build 1,300 towers to cover 37 percent of the population with an Internet speed of 27 Mbps by January.

If DITO failed to fulfill its commitments on time, the government forfeits, in its favor, the P25.7 billion performance bond that DITO has paid before construction activities.

DITO consortium is composed of Dennis Uy’s Udenna Corp., its subsidiary Chelsea Logistics Holdings Inc., which owns 60 percent of the firm, and state-owned China Telecommunications Corp., which owns the remaining 40 percent.

With this, DITO has promised to cover 84 percent of the Philippines and offer a minimum average speed of at least 55 Mbps by the end of its commitment.