The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Monday issued an apology to individuals whose names were erroneously included in a list of University of the Philippines (UP) alumni who allegedly joined the New People’s Army (NPA).
A number of the people included on the list posted on AFP’s Facebook page has denied joining the NPA and demanded an apology from the military. The post had been taken down.
“We sincerely apologize for those who were inadvertently affected by inconsistencies regarding the List of Students who joined the NPA (Died or Captured) that was posted in the AFP Information Exchange Facebook account. That article has since been immediately taken down or deleted from our social media accounts,” the AFP said in its “Statement of Apology” posted on in its Facebook page.
“The Office of the J7, AFP is already conducting an internal investigation as to how the list got published. Personnel who are responsible will be held to account,” it added.
The military, at the same time, assures the public that it is now reviewing its processes and procedures to ensure that similar incidents will not happen again in the future.
“The Office of J7, AFP remains committed to providing and disseminating information on social media platforms that will contribute to a better Philippines for all,” it added.
Earlier, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said that the AFP is ready to apologize to a number of UP alumni who were included in the military’s list of former students who were allegedly recruited by the NPA.
Reports said among those seeking for an apology from the AFP is lawyer Rafael Aquino and former Health Undersecretary Alexander Padilla, whose names were allegedly included erroneously in the AFP list released more than a week ago.