The Department of Health on Monday said it is still premature to determine whether the two individuals who tested positive COVID-19 were false results on the recent issue of the Philippine Basketball’s Association (PBA) bubble.
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said that ample analysis on the statistics of the samples taken will need to take place first before the DOH can make conclusions.
“We cannot give appropriate conclusions for this time because we have not seen the official details of the laboratory para mapag-aralan po natin kung talagang false positive po ba yan o hindi,” she said.
Based on the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Health Technology Assessment Council (HTAC), the Antigen test is most accurate for individuals who are already exhibiting symptoms within the first five days.
“Ang Antigen test ay binigay ng WHO at HTAC na sinasabing gagamitin niyo ‘yan dun sa mga may sintomas o’ di kaya doon sa mga closed contacts ng mga taong nag-confirm na positive meaning suspects, probable,” she said.
Vergeire earlier explained that this is why should the test render negative, a repeat test using RT-PCR is mandated as the viral load may not have been enough for the Antigen test to detect COVID-19.
On Sunday, the PBA announced that one of its players tested positive a few days after one of its referees who was asymptomatic also yielded a positive result.
But just this morning, the league said that both of the cases have already received negative results in the succeeding confirmatory tests conducted.
Officials assured that both individuals and closed contacts are already under isolation and that no breach has so far occurred in the bubble.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr., meanwhile, said that no investigation on the matter is needed since proper protocols were immediately conducted to suppress the virus.