The call for healthcare workers to stay and work in the country has again been renewed amid a reported shortage of staff among hospital facilities.
This was the appeal of the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) spokesperson on Friday stating that there really is a need to augment the available staff in the country due to a rise in patients.
“Kailangan kailangan po natin ng mga doctor, sana po ay magstay muna kayo kahit at least for the next one or two years or kahit one year lang,” Dr. Jonas Del Rosario said.
“Sa ngayon po ay wag muna ho kayo umalis, kailangan kayo, kailangan ho kayo ng mga hospital,” he added.
At present, most healthcare workers are opting not to apply in fear of contracting the virus as well as other supposed medical practitioners who have not taken their licensure exams yet.
Also, the pay grade is so low that some healthcare workers are discouraged to accept considering the risk they are about to face.
Del Rosario said there is a big difference between the salary offered here and abroad which is why most of them are considering working overseas instead.
“Dito po talagang sabi nga po nila kapag ikaw ay naguumpisa pa lamang, mahirap bumuhay ng pamilya kaya marami po talagang nagbabalak umalis,” he said.
On top of that, he said that they are expecting the number to decrease further should the government fully lift the ban on allowing medical workers to leave for their job offers abroad.
“Malaking bagay po talaga yung sweldo, yung iba nga po sinasabi para daw pong insulto yung binibigay ng gobyerno; mababa po,” he said.
Although there are programs on the temporary hiring of health professionals for six months, he said that most of them have chosen not to renew their contract due to the low compensation.
Even so, Del Rosario urged healthcare workers to for now let their nationalism prevail as the public as well as many facilities in the country need them.
“Nanawagan nga po kami lalo ngayon sa pandemya na sana manaig sakanila yung medyo nasyonalismo dahil sa ngayon po kumbaga lumalaban tayo sa giyera,” he said.
In August, the Filipino Nurses United (FNU) had already called for the national government to lift the ban emphasizing that they have no right to limit their decision especially with better offers that can uplift the lives of their family members.
At present, the Department of Health (DOH) has 11,934 existing slots for the emergency hiring of healthcare workers in which so far only 9,692 have been hired among more than 300 facilities.