Connect with us
Click me!

Metro

NBP situation ‘still tense’

Alvin Murcia

Published

on

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra yesterday said the situation in the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) was still tense.

“The situation was still tense as of yesterday. There were intelligence reports that one group was amassing to strike back at the rival group. But the prison authorities, with the assistance of the police, have so far contained the violence,” Guevarra said.

He added, “I’m waiting for an update from the BuCor (Bureau of Corrections) today (12 October).”

Meanwhile, the BuCor assured the “NBP is back to normal operations as of this time and everything is under control.”

To recall, at least nine people were killed in a riot that broke out at the NBP before dawn on Friday.

The nine inmates were from rival gangs Sputnik and Commando, according to Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) Assistant Secretary Gabriel Chaclag.

He said the fight between the gangs erupted at the NBP quadrant around 2:30 a.m. and was “contained” at 4 a.m. “before it could escalate.”

Guevarra immediately ordered a thorough investigation into the matter to determine the cause of the riot that caused deaths and injured several others.

Following the incident, the bureau said “a total of nine lifeless bodies were accounted at the morgue and seven injured PDL (person deprived of liberty) treated at the NBP Hospital.”

Investigation continues to determine the cause, the liability of the parties involved, and how to prevent similar incidents for happening.

Last Friday, BuCor placed all of its prisons and penal farms on alert following the riot at the NBP in Muntinlupa City.

“The scuffle was immediately contained and all camps security posts were immediately put on high alert during the incident,” read the statement the BuCor posted on Friday evening.

“All the prison and penal farms under BuCor were also advised to be on alert,” it added.

Advertisement