From being a hotspot, Cebu City has successfully eradicated the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from 36 out of its 80 villages, data from the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) showed.
Department of Health Central Visayas (DoH-7), however, showed a slight increase in active COVID-19 cases in the city from 335 a week ago to 356 as of 14 September.
The city also recorded nine additional cases and 37 recoveries on Monday, bringing the total number of recoveries to 8,732, or 89.5 percent of the 9,750 total infections since the onset of the pandemic in March.
Last June, the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Infectious Diseases established EOC in Cebu City while President Rodrigo Duterte dispatched Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu to oversee COVID-19 response.
“Cebu (City) is now the hot spot. Why? Because you refuse to follow,” President Duterte said then. “You do not follow the rules. Think of the others. All I’m asking is to keep yourselves alive and not spread the infection.”
Cebu City Mayor Edgar Labella also announced last week that 49 of 53 village isolation centers have been shut down as the number of patients dropped.
“I urge Cebuanos to be conscious of the presence of coronavirus in the community and to be mindful in observing minimum health standards such as wearing of mask and physical distancing, among others, to continue this trend,” Labella said.
The Business Permit and Licensing Office was directed to constantly inspect establishments to ensure health and safety protocols are being followed.
Some 70 establishments were ordered closed or voluntarily ceased operations in recent weeks for violating the protocols.
Of the 70, seven received a 14-day work suspensions while the rest were allowed to reopen after three to five days.