Connect with us

World

More Apple Daily arrests

GLOBALTIMES

Published

on

LAI, the Hong Kong riot supporter, has been arrested for violating the national security law for Hong Kong for collusion with foreign powers, sources close to the Hong Kong Police Force confirmed. Xinhua

HONG KONG, China (Global Times) — After the arrest of Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, founder of Apple Daily, for violating the national security law for Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Police Force searched the headquarters of Next Digital, parent company of Apple Daily, on Monday morning, as more executives from the notorious media group were arrested.

Lai, the Hong Kong riot supporter, has been arrested for violating the national security law for Hong Kong for collusion with foreign powers, sources close to the Hong Kong Police Force confirmed with the Global Times on Monday morning. Police detained at least seven people during the operations.

Along with this arrest, two of Lai’s sons and two senior executives from Next Digital, an executive chairman and a chairman in charge of the outlet’s operation and finances, have also been arrested. One of Lai’s aides, Mark Simon, is currently abroad and wanted by police.

This was the first time the local media mogul, who is widely seen as a “modern traitor,” was arrested for violating the law, which was enacted on 30 June and targets four types of criminal acts in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) — acts of secession, subversion of state power, terrorist activities and collusion with foreign forces to endanger national security.

Some legal experts believe the case will involve a group charge of violating the national security law for Hong Kong, targeting the notorious local newspaper Apple Daily, which has played a role of instigating hatred, spreading rumors and smearing Hong Kong authorities and the mainland for years. It has also played an active role in inciting anti-government riots as it is backed and funded by foreign forces to bring about a “color revolution” in the city, experts said.

The police said the operation is still ongoing and has not ruled out further arrests.

“It’s likely that more personnel from the media outlet will be arrested,” considering what the newspaper has done, Lawrence Tang Fei, a member of the Chinese Association of Hong Kong and Macao Studies, told the Global Times on Monday.

Lai had been arrested multiple times over the past year on suspicion of participating in an unlawful assembly and intimidating journalists, defying police bans and clashing with police amid social turmoil across the city. But Lai had been also granted bail several times, and had travel bans imposed.

“This time, for violating the national security law, it will be difficult for him to be granted bail again,” Tian Feilong, a legal expert on Hong Kong affairs at Beihang University in Beijing, told the Global Times on Monday.

The arrest also represents the most typical case of violation of the national security law for Hong Kong, and Lai is highly likely to face heavy penalties given that he has constantly challenged the law, Tian said.

The law carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment, with the chief perpetrator in particular likely to face severe punishment.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Latest

Trump seeks Ginsburg replacement ASAP

TDT

Published

on

By

TRUMP

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US President Donald Trump on Saturday urged Republican lawmakers to back his upcoming nomination for the Supreme Court “without delay” as the issue roiled the election campaign.

“We were put in this position of power and importance to make decisions for the people who so proudly elected us, the most important of which has long been considered to be the selection of United States Supreme Court Justices,” Trump tweeted after the death Friday of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

“We have this obligation, without delay!”

p/jd

Continue Reading

Latest

Thousands join Thailand pro-democracy rally

TDT

Published

on

By

PROTESTERS calling for Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha to step down.

BANGKOK (AFP) — Tens of thousands of pro-democracy protesters massed close to Thailand’s royal palace on Saturday, in a huge rally calling for PM Prayut Chan-O-Cha to step down and demanding reforms to the monarchy.

The kingdom has seen near-daily gatherings of youth-led groups since mid-July calling for the resignation of Prayut, the former army chief behind the 2014 coup, and a complete overhaul of his administration.

Some are also demanding reforms to Thailand’s ultra-wealthy and powerful monarchy — a once-taboo topic in the country due to its tough royal defamation laws.

The burgeoning movement, partly inspired by Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests, remains largely leaderless.

But the weekend’s demonstration is organised by students of Bangkok’s Thammasat University — a group that has been among the most vocal about the royal family’s role in Thailand.

History teacher Patipat, 29, said the government wouldn’t be able to ignore the event.

“Today is one of the turning points in Thai history,” he told AFP.

Bangkok’s Metropolitan Police Bureau said more than 15,000 protesters had gathered around the university’s downtown campus and the surrounding area by nightfall, though protest organisers claim a much higher turnout.

AFP reporters on the ground estimated a crowd size closer to 30,000.

This would make it one of the largest gatherings the kingdom has seen since the 2014 coup.

Flooding into the historic Sanam Luang field in front of the Royal Palace, LGBT activists unfurled rainbow flags as protesters marched in waving a three-fingered salute, a symbol for democracy taken from the Hunger Games film trilogy.

“We are calling for Prayut Chan-O-Cha… to resign immediately,” prominent activist and protest organiser Parit Chiwarak, also known as Penguin, told AFP.

Student leaders have also vowed to push for reform to the monarchy, asserting that they hope “to adapt it to society”.

“I believe the institution can be modernised,” said a rallygoer in his mid-20s, declining to be named.

Another protester wore a fake crown and a shirt that said “please realise this country belongs to the people”.

Demonstrators have said they will spend the night at Sanam Luang before marching to Government House on Sunday morning — a move authorities have warned against.

Some 10,000 uniformed and plainclothes police patrolled the area as the crowd grew. Tents were set up by protesters selling T-shirts, flags and beer.

p/jd

Continue Reading

Latest

Abe visits war shrine, days after leaving office

Agence France-Presse

Published

on

Japan’s outgoing Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (C) holds a bouquet of flowers as he bids farewell to staff members after the last cabinet meeting in Tokyo. (AFP)

Shinzo Abe, who stepped down this week as Japan’s prime minister, on Saturday visited a war shrine seen by neighboring countries as a symbol of Tokyo’s past militarism.

Abe last visited the controversial shrine in December 2013, sparking fury from wartime foes Beijing and Seoul and earning a rare diplomatic rebuke from close ally the United States.

Abe posted a picture of himself in a dark suit walking along a wooden corridor at the shrine in central Tokyo on Saturday, escorted by a Shinto priest in a white robe.

“Today, I paid my respects at the Yasukuni Shrine and reported to the spirits of the war dead my resignation as prime minister,” the nationalist politician tweeted.

The former premier had refrained from paying tributes at the shrine in person since his 2013 visit despite other conservative politicians doing so, in particular on August 15 to mark Japan’s surrender in World War II.

Four ministers from Abe’s cabinet paid tributes at the shrine last month in the first such visit since 2016.

Yasukuni honors 2.5 million war dead, mostly Japanese, who perished in the country’s wars since the late 19th century.

But it also honors senior military and political figures convicted of war crimes by an international tribunal after the war.

Abe announced late last month that he was stepping down due to health problems and was replaced by Yoshihide Suga on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Latest

Two killed in hurricane-like storm in Greece

Agence France-Presse

Published

on

Greece braces for a hurricane-like storm lashing the Ionian Sea. (Twitter)

Two people died and one was missing on Saturday after central Greece was lashed by a rare hurricane-like storm known as a “Medicane”.

Hundreds of people had to be rescued from flooded buildings as heavy rain and high wind wrecked homes, shops, and warehouses in regions north of the capital Athens.

Mediterranean cyclone Ianos hit islands off western Greece on Friday, forcing flights and ferry services to be canceled.

Emergency teams were searching for a boat carrying 55 migrants on Saturday after receiving a distress signal a day earlier, but the coast guard told AFP the vessel may have changed direction after receiving no help.

The city of Karditsa about 300 kilometers (190 miles) north of Athens was badly hit overnight, with mudslides, falling trees, and power cuts.

Local reports said a man was found dead on his farm in the area.

In nearby towns, a woman was found dead in her inundated house and another went missing after her car was swept away by a flooded river, firefighters said.

Continue Reading

World

Brazil calls Maduro a dictator

Agence France-Presse

Published

on

VENEZUELA President Nicolas Maduro speaks during a meeting with members of his United Socialist Party in Caracas on Thursday. / JHONN ZERPA/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

BRASILIA, Brazil (AFP) — Brazil called on the international community Thursday to reject upcoming legislative elections in Venezuela, saying human-rights violations by President Nicolas Maduro’s “dictatorial regime” made the vote illegitimate.

The message came as US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo began a South American tour that will take him to the Brazilian-Venezuelan border Friday for an event also seen as upping the pressure on Maduro.

Brazil’s foreign ministry quoted from a United Nations report published Wednesday that accused Maduro and top cabinet ministers of probable “crimes against humanity,” including arbitrary killings and systematic use of torture — claims the Venezuelan government rejected.
a
“Given the contents of this report, Brazil considers a regime such as Maduro’s lacks the legitimacy to convene a clean and fair electoral process, and that the legislative elections called by the dictatorship for December should not be supported by the international community,” the Brazilian foreign ministry said in a statement.

Continue Reading

World

IS claims killing of 6 French, guides

Agence France-Presse

Published

on

AFP Photo.

PARIS, France (AFP) — The Islamic State extremist group on Thursday claimed the killing in August of six French aid workers and their two local guides while they were visiting a nature reserve in the West African country of Niger.

The six French humanitarian workers, aged between 25 and 30, their guide and their driver were killed on August 9 in the Koure National Park, a wildlife haven 60 kilometers (37 miles) from Niger’s capital Niamey.

The statement, issued in the Islamic State publication al-Naba and authenticated by US monitoring group SITE, said that the eight had been killed following their capture in a “blitz attack.”

It claimed that the attack was considered “a major security lapse” for France, which has a 5,100 strong force deployed in the Sahel region of West Africa to fight militant groups.

French anti-terror prosecutors have already said that the attack appeared to be a “premeditated” strike against Westerners while it was unclear if the French aid workers and their NGO Acted were specifically targeted.

The area, which is famous for its giraffes, is a popular a destination for weekend leisure trips by Niamey residents, including foreigners.

French investigators have been sent to Niger to carry out the probe.

French President Emmanuel Macron has described the killings as “manifestly a terrorist attack” and said there would be repercussions.

Continue Reading

World

Oracle, TikTok deal shapes up

A deal appeared to be taking shape this week that would allow Silicon Valley-based Oracle to be the US technology partner for TikTok to allay Washington’s concerns that the platform could be used for Chinese espionage.

Agence France-Presse

Published

on

WASHINGTON (AFP) — Amid a looming deadline set by President Donald Trump, negotiators scrambled to find a new ownership structure for the popular video app TikTok that would pass muster in both the United States and China.

A deal appeared to be taking shape this week that would allow Silicon Valley-based Oracle to be the US technology partner for TikTok to allay Washington’s concerns that the platform could be used for Chinese espionage.

But details of the deal remained unclear. Some reports said Oracle would be a minority stakeholder in TikTok, with the Chinese parent firm ByteDance keeping a majority.

A US government national security panel was reviewing the Oracle bid while Republican lawmakers warned against accepting a deal that keeps the Chinese firm in control.

Trump said Wednesday he was undecided and still considering the national security implications of any new structure for the wildly popular app, which has an estimated 100 million users in the United States and as many as one billion worldwide.

Some analysts said it appeared difficult to craft a deal that allays concerns in both countries on security and the algorithms and other key technologies used by TikTok.

“It seems like a zero-sum game where either China or the United States gets the intellectual property and security benefits, and there’s no way for both parties to share that,” said Betsy Cooper, director of the Aspen Institute’s Tech Policy Hub and a former Homeland Security official.

Cooper said the reported deal with Oracle hosting data as a minority shareholder “doesn’t sound like it resolves the security concerns” raised by Trump and other US officials.

James Lewis, who heads technology policy at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said Oracle could still win approval for its deal, but may need to make changes.

“If they can show a good package of security measures it will help,” Lewis said. “It’s an easier sell for Oracle if ByteDance becomes a minority owner.”

Six Republican US senators said in a letter to Trump this week that “any deal between an American company and ByteDance must ensure that TikTok’s US operations, data, and algorithms are entirely outside the control of ByteDance or any Chinese-state directed actors, including any entity that can be compelled by Chinese law to turn over or access US consumer data.”

Trump has threatened to ban TikTok in the United States if no deal is reached by 20 September, in the latest battle between the two countries over technology.

Possible Beijing veto
Richard Windsor, an independent technology analyst who writes the Radio Free Mobile blog, said that any TikTok deal that addresses the US security issues runs the risk of facing a veto by Beijing.

“The fact that Oracle will have access to TikTok’s algorithms and source code greatly increases the chances of the deal being approved by the US administration, but it also greatly increases the chances of it being blocked by China,” Windsor said.

Continue Reading

World

Beijing urges stronger BRICS

Avatar

Published

on

By

BEIJING, China (Xinhua) — Yang Jiechi, a member of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC), on Thursday called for more collective efforts by five BRICS countries.

This is meant to further deepen strategic mutual trust, strengthen dialogue and cooperation with other emerging markets and developing countries, and make greater contributions to safeguarding world peace and development.

Yang, also director of the Office of the Foreign Affairs Commission of the CPC Central Committee, made the appeal at the 10th Meeting of the BRICS High Representatives for Security Issues via video link.

He pointed out that facing the challenges of COVID-19 pandemic, BRICS countries — Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa — have demonstrated their firm determination to unite and cooperate to tide over difficulties together.

BRICS countries need to consolidate the three pillar areas of cooperation, and translate important consensus of the leaders into real actions, Yang said.

In his remarks, Yang said the unilateralism, protectionism and bullying have seriously affected international relations and security order. BRICS countries should take the 75th anniversary of the founding of the United Nations as an opportunity to firmly safeguard the purposes and principles of the UN Charter, and jointly issue a strong BRICS voice of multilateralism.

BRICS countries should strengthen coordination on major international issues, oppose the Cold War thinking and ideological confrontation, and safeguard their common interests, as well as the legitimate rights and interests of developing countries, Yang said, adding that BRICS countries should also strive to seek security through equality, development and cooperation, and jointly promote political settlement of hot issues.

Continue Reading

World

Anez withdraws candidacy

Agence France-Presse

Published

on

LA PAZ, Bolivia (AFP) — The interim president of Bolivia, Jeanine Anez, announced on Thursday her withdrawal from the presidential race a month before the elections, fearing she would split the vote against leftist Luis Arce, protege of former leader Evo Morales.

“Today I set aside my candidacy for the presidency of Bolivia,” said the right wing leader in a televised message.

She explained that she made the decision “in view of the risk that the democratic vote be divided among various candidates and that as a result of that division the MAS (Movement Towards Socialism, led by Morales) end up winning the election” of 18 October.

Flanked by her candidate for the vice presidency, businessman Samuel Doria Medina, and other political allies, Anez called for unity against the MAS, whose standard-bearer is in first place in polls.

“If we do not unite, Morales returns; if we do not unite, democracy loses; if we do not unite, the dictatorship wins,” said the 53-year-old leader.

Anez abandoned the electoral race one day after a national poll put her in fourth place in the race, and Arce in the lead.

Continue Reading