Connect with us
Click me!

Latest

What’s Baguio without pine trees?

Aldwin Quitasol

Published

on

ABOUT 30 trees had already been cut to make way for a condominium's construction. W. Commons

The City Environment and Parks Management Office (CEPMO) of Baguio City on Saturday underscored the need to strengthen the moratorium on tree-cutting in the mountainous tourist magnet.

“When we lose the pine trees, we lose the very identity of the city,” CEPMO chief Renan Diwas said in the face of the brouhaha over the planned cutting of 54 trees by Vista Residences in Barangay Outlook Drive.

The company had been ordered during a city council meeting to suspend its tree-cutting activities which it started last 20 June. About 30 trees had already been cut.

Vista Residences, through its technical service officer Allan Santos, told the council that the trees must be cut because they are in the way of the condominium they are building.

He insisted it is not possible to reconfigure the architectural plan of the condominium to save the trees.

p/jhd

Advertisement
Click to comment
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement