Connect with us
Click me!

Latest

67 Cebu City government employees among Covid patients

Rico Osmeña

Published

on

CEBU City has 3,278 active Covid cases as of 28 June. (Photo: Cebu City Facebook)

At least 71 Cebu City government officials and employees have been infected by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), with former congressman Antonio Cuenco who was a sitting councilor among the four who died.

Cebu City Spokesperson and lawyer Rey Gealon said aside from Cuenco, the other three fatalities were assigned at the Department of Public Services, Cebu City Health Department and barangay health services.

“I am deeply saddened by the situation affecting our city government workers who play a crucial role in our efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19,” Mayor Edgardo Labella said.

Gealon added that the death of former city treasurer Arlene Rentuza is still being verified if it was COVID-related or not.

Among the 67 city government workers infected, 12 are personnel of the city health department, 19 are ambulance service employees and 36 barangay health workers.

On Tuesday, 30 June, Cebu City recorded the highest daily toll of new cases at 353 even as the provincial capitol has suspended personal transactions until Friday, 3 July.

As of 28 June, Cebu City has 5,704 confirmed cases, with 3,278 still active ones. The city remained under enhanced community quarantine.

Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia said the three-day suspension will give way to the disinfection of offices at the capitol, where 12 employees are COVID-19 positive, two recovered and two died.

The City Treasurer’s Office in Mandaue City likewise suspended face-to-face transactions until Friday after an employee was confirmed to be infected, according to City Treasurer Regal Olivas.

Last week, the Mandaue City Administrator’s Office canceled personal transactions when an employee tested positive for the virus.

Advertisement
Click to comment