Connect with us

Page three

PNP cracks down on bogus pensioners

Kristina Maralit

Published

on

Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, PGen. Archie Gamboa has ordered a crackdown on the more than 1,000 bogus and unqualified pensioners he says are illegally milking the organization’s pension fund.

“We have identified them in the nationwide accounting of the police organization’s pensioners and we will immediately purge the list to clean the records once and for all,” Gamboa said in a statement released to the media late Monday.

The top cop reiterated that the PNP “will exhaust all legal means to recover lost pension funds paid to ineligible claimants” and cases will be filed against individuals and groups making the fraudulent claims.

In a report, PNP Retirement Benefits Administration Service acting chief, PCol. Arthur Bisnar, bared that 1,027 pensioners on their list are now deemed ineligible.

In a report submitted by PNP Retirement Benefits Service acting director, Col. Arthur Bisnar, a total of 1,027 pensioners were discovered to be no longer eligible based on grounds stipulated under the mandate of the PRBS.

This was backed by PMaj. Gen. Reynaldo Biay, chief of the Directorate for Personnel and Records Management (DPRM), who confirmed that the disqualified pensioners were either “deceased, have remarried, or have reached the age of majority.”

Gamboa tasked the PRBS, in coordination with all police regional directors, to conduct a nationwide accounting of more than 21,000 PNP pensioners who were not able to update their records last year or failed to avail of the accounting services which rolled out last February.

The PNP Chief stressed the accounting was necessary to ensure that government funds are disbursed efficiently and transparently, particularly in times of crisis like the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic.

To fast-track the accounting, the PRBS deployed track-care teams from all Police Regional Offices to verify the last known addresses of the pensioners instead of asking them to make a personal appearance in Camp Crame.

Said track-care teams have already updated the status of 7,388 as of 18 May. Of the said number, 1,027 were found to be no longer eligible to receive the pension.

The whereabouts of some 1,023 beneficiaries, meanwhile, can no longer be established while 11 names were found to have been duplicate entries.

The accounts of these disqualified and unaccounted pensioners with Landbank, through which they receive their benefits, have been tagged, put on hold, and deleted from the pensioner alpha list.

This means that pensions will continue to be credited in these Landbank pension accounts but these funds cannot be withdrawn until such time that the account owner has updated their status with PRBS.

Advertisement
Click to comment