Three more patients under investigation (PUI) in the Soccsksargen region who died while awaiting laboratory confirmation for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) were found to have tested negative of the virus.
Arjohn Gangoso, health education and promotion officer of the Department of Health (DoH)-Region 12, said Monday these were based on the test results released over the weekend by the Southern Philippines Medical Center in Davao City.
He said the three were among the seven PUI in the region who expired while undergoing treatment for various illnesses including suspected COVID-19 symptoms.
Of the seven deceased patients, he said four have so far turned out negative, one was positive and two with still pending laboratory confirmation.
Based on the DoH-12’s COVID-19 situation report as of 5 p.m. Sunday, the seventh PUI death in the region involved a 62-year-old female from North Cotabato who expired in a local hospital last 26 March.
The patient, who eventually tested negative for the virus, had no history of travel to areas with confirmed COVID-19 cases but had hypertension and suffered a stroke.
The two other deceased PUI were the fourth and fifth cases who turned out negative, one a 72-year-old male from South Cotabato and the other a 30-year-old female from Gen. Santos City who died on 23 and 24 March from acute respiratory illness.
Last week, a 51-year-old male patient, the second PUI death, from South Cotabato who succumbed last March 17 due to severe acute respiratory illness tested negative for Covid-19.