Connect with us

Latest

Sangley Airport inaugural fulfills Rody’s promise

TDT

Published

on

Pres. Duterte (left) and Sec. Tugade unveiling the airport marker on Saturday. (RTVM)

CAVITE CITY, Cavite – President Rodrigo Roa Duterte’s inauguration of the Sangley Airport in Cavite Saturday, 15 February, marks the fulfilment of his promise to make the facility ready for operation by the deadline he set in 2018.

The Department of Transportation (DoTr) completed the airport in record time in November last year. Supporting the DoTr in completing the Sangley Airport Development Project (SADP) were the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP), Philippine Navy, Philippine Air Force, Civil Aeronautics Board, Office for Transportation Security, Manila International Airport Authority, Philippine Ports Authority, Philippine Coast Guard, and other DOTr agencies.

In his speech after unveiling the market for the airport, Duterte commended the resolve of Department of Transportation (DoTr) Secretary Arthur Tugade in expediting construction of the airport and in properly spending the country’s money.

“Look at what a P700 million can do in the hands of a competent and bright [official],” Duterte said in his speech.

“Napapakita sa proyektong ito na kung magkakaisa ‘yung gobyerno nasyonal, ‘yung local, ‘yung private sector, at ‘yung mga ahensyang may mandatong gawin ang mga proyektong ito, kung hindi po sila magkakapit-bisig, wala ‘hong mangyayari,” said Tugade in his own speech. “At higit sa lahat, kung walang tulong at inspirasyon ng ating Pangulo, saan dadamputin ang mga proyekto?”

Cavite Gov. Jonvic Remulla said the Sangley Airport will be of great help to Cavite which he claimed as the largest province in terms of population. He adds, it was an honor for him to present and help produce the airport.

“Mr. President, this is the Sangley Airport. Thank you very much Secretary Tugade for all the support, and [Finance] Secretary [Carlos] Dominguez. This project is not just for Cavite, but for the entire country,” Remulla said.

The airport started construction in 2018 but work was rushed in June 2019 with the addition of manpower and equipment and 24/7 shift as instructed by Tugade.

Duterte pushed for the utilization of Sangley Airport to accommodate general aviation and turboprop operations, in a bid to help decongest the country’s main gateway, the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

Priority facilities of the airport are now 100 percent. The improved asphalt overlay runway spans 2,400 meters, with a usable length of 2,140 meters. The runway is now equipped with Precision Approach Patch Indicator lights on both directions and Air Ground Lighting System.
A new 250m x 120m concrete apron can accommodate five turbo prop or category 3C aircraft.

A newly-constructed 750-square meter Passenger Terminal Building (PTB) can accommodate 160 passengers. The new PTB is equipped with Flight Information Display Systems, CCTV, X-ray, and baggage handling and weigh-in conveyor.

There is a security fence, road network, vehicular parking area for 120 cars, and a power house with two standby 625KVA generators. There are two 1,750 sqm hangars.

An operational dry run of the airport was conducted in October 2019.

The DoTr is also set to further enhance the airport’s facilities, including the improvement of the drainage system, which will help prevent flooding in the airport vicinity during heavy rains and high tides.

p: wjg

Click to comment