Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra Wednesday said the sedition charges filed by the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) against Vice President Leni Robredo and 35 others will be resolved before the end of this month.
This was Guevarra’s response to a tweet by former Rep. Erin Tañada who claimed a resolution by the Department of Justice (DoJ) panel on the sedition case against the opposition was nearly 90 days overdue.
Tañada said that based on the rules, the panel had 60 days to resolve the preliminary investigation which should have been more or less at the end of October last year.
“Unlike ordinary cases under preliminary investigation, the sedition case involves many respondents and several charges all rolled into one,” Guevarra said. “Our prosecutors are carefully evaluating the evidence in view of the highly sensitive nature of the case. At any rate, they intend to resolve before the end of the month.”
“I understand that the draf resolution is for review already,” he added.
Last year, the PNP-CIDG filed sedition and other complaints against Vice President Leni Robredo and 35 other individuals, including incumbent and former senators and priests, after they were tagged as involved in the release of the “Ang Totoong Narcolist” videos.
They were also charged with cyber libel, libel, estafa, harboring a criminal and obstruction of justice.
Named in the complaint aside from Robredo, are incumbent opposition senators Leila de Lima and Risa Hontiveros, former senators Bam Aquino and Antonio Trillanes and members of the Otso Diretcho slate, namely lawyers Chel Diokno, Romulo Macalintal, former Solicitor General Florin Hilbay, Samira Gutoc and former lawmakers Erin Tañada and Gary Alejano.