It’s no longer a three-day break but a work-from-home arrangement for President Rodrigo Duterte.
Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo disclosed the change in plans of the Chief Executive, who dropped an earlier intent to go on leave on the advice of many within and outside his circle.
Panelo said will go about his duties in his home in Davao City.
But the Palace official also assured that the President is doing fine and just needs more time to sleep due to his hectic work as Chief Executive.
“He will no longer take a leave. He will work in Davao, in his house. He has lots of backlog, lots of paperwork,” Panelo said.
“There are lots of other activities in the Palace, unlike in his house. After his paperwork, he can immediately take a rest,” he added.
The Palace also said the Chief Executive is not ailing.
Panelo said the President had earlier wanted to recharge after three years of very hectic schedules running the country’s affairs.
He said the President did not object when former Special Assistant to the President and now Sen. Bong Go suggested that he take a short respite during a chat last week.
“As far as I know, he’ll start Tuesday (today) for a three-day rest,” the official said. “Sen. Go said the President did not object to it.”
There is no need for the President to file an official leave, however.
“I told the President that he looks good when he completes eight hours of sleep,” Panelo said. “I think that’s what’s lacking with him, sleep.”
There is no need for the President to file an official leave.
At the same time, the spokesman stressed that the three-day rest has nothing to do with the President’s state of health. He will just slow down from his punishing schedules.
His friends, colleagues and physician have also advised the Chief Executive to take a break.
“The President also does not need any advice from us,” Panelo said. “From the start, he only tells us to ‘do your work, perform’ and we need no further instructions.”