The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday said it has not monitored any security threat in relation to the country’s hosting of the 30th Southeast Asian Games (SEA Games) in different venues in Luzon.
The PNP is continouosly conducting securjty assessment of the venues for the biennial regional multi-sport event slated on 30 November to 11 December to ensure the safety and security of athletes, spectators and sports officials, said PNP Spokesman, Police Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac in a press briefing at the PNP headquarters in Camp Crame, Quezon City.
“So far we have not monitored any security threat in relation to the country’s hosting of the SEA Games later this year,” Banac told reporters.
However, the PNP will be on full alert status during the games to prevent those who might be planning to disrupt it, he said.
At the same time, Banac advised the public to be always vigilant and alert at all times and report to police any suspicious persons.
Meanwhile, the Police Regional Office (PRO) 3 based in Camp Olivas, San Fernando City, Pampanga will be deploying 5,000 cops to provide security for the SEA Games.
The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) will deploy 10,000 policemen to assist the PRO-3 in securing venues, including the billeting areas of all athletes and foreign delegations.
Four designated hubs will serve as hosts namely Manila, Clark, Subic, and a fourth cluster consisting of venues not grouped with the first three hubs.
This will be the fourth time that the Philippines will host the SEA Games since 2005. It was also the host in the 1981 and 1991 editions of the games.
The 30th edition will include for the first time e-sports and obstacle race. It also has the highest number of sports at 56.