A Philippine Embassy official in Libya today confirmed that at least 40 Filipinos have asked assistance to be repatriated to the Philippines following explosions there Saturday.
Still, Charge d’ Affaires Elmer Cato said most of the about 1,000 Filipinos in Tripoli have chosen to ride out the fresh wave of violence just like they did in the past.
“About 1,000 of them are still maintaining this wait and see attitude because most of them are veterans of the previous fighting in Tripoli in 2011 and 2014,” Cato said.
“They think it’s still gonna be the same. Despite all our efforts to convince them, many of them still refuse to avail the repatriation offers of the government.”
The Libyan National Army force loyal to commander Khalifa Haftar had been trying to topple the government with an offensive two weeks back.