Connect with us

Sports

Floyd-Tenshin fight erupts

Agence France-Presse

Published

on

LAS VEGAS — Floyd Mayweather says he and Japanese kickboxing star Tenshin Nasukawa will meet after all — but only in a nine-minute New Year’s Eve exhibition.

Mayweather said the match in Tokyo would be for entertainment purposes only, with no judges, no official record — and no kicking.

“I’m in the entertainment business. That’s what I’m going to do,” Mayweather said Thursday at his Las Vegas gym.

“I love to do this. I’m working out to put on a show for three rounds.”

Nasukawa joined Mayweather at his gym to announce the exhibition, which will be boxing only and take place at Saitama Super Arena in suburban Tokyo on 31 December.

It was the second announcement for the event, which was promoted as an actual fight when announced last month, though the rules were unclear.

Mayweather appeared at a press conference in Tokyo, where he talked about the challenge of taking on a young kickboxing champion.

A few days later, Mayweather issued a statement after returning to the United States that he was “blindsided” by Japanese officials and never intended to have an actual fight with Nasukawa.

“First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa,” Mayweather said, going on to describe himself as a retired boxer who earned money making appearances and putting on exhibitions for what he said were large sums of money.

Click to comment