Connect with us

Sports

Nadal done for season

Published

on

MADRID — Rafael Nadal confirmed on Monday he will miss the ATP Finals in London this month and that his season is over due to injury.

Nadal said he needed an operation on his right ankle and is also yet to recover from the abdominal problem that kept him out of the Paris Masters last week.

It means Novak Djokovic is guaranteed to end the year top of the world rankings while John Isner, the world number 10, comes into the field for the ATP Finals on Sunday.

“I am writing to you to signal the end of the season,” Nadal said. “It has been a complicated year, very good in terms of tennis when I was able to play and very bad in terms of injuries.”
The 32-year-old won a record-extending 11th French Open title in June and reached the semi-finals both at Wimbledon and the US Open.

He was forced to retire mid-way through his US Open semi-final with Juan Martin del Potro in September due to pain in his right knee and has not been able to play a competitive match since.

“I have done everything possible to reach the end of the season in good condition, both in Paris and London, and I really wanted to play,” Nadal added.

On his ankle problem, he said: “It is true that we knew about it for a long time and from time to time it bothered me.”

“Since the problem in my abdominal muscle also prevents me from playing in London, we have decided to take advantage of the moment … and avoid future problems.

Advertisement

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Advertisement
Advertisement