Four persons were killed, including three children, in a fire that gutted a residential building in Agoo, La Union, last Sunday.
According to the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP)-Agoo, the blaze started on the second floor of the building at around 7 a.m. and was placed under control at 8:30 a.m.
Chief Insp. Silverio Ordinado Jr., La Union’s police information officer, identified the fatalities as George Asprec, 74; Charlie Jhon Higuera, 10; Charmaine Higuera, 9, and Charles Mathew Higuera, 3.
Asprec was identified as the stepfather of the kids.
Arson investigators said Asprec tried to save the children, but the stairs caught fire and the four were trapped.
Fortunately, Asprec’s live-in partner and three other kids escaped from the burning house.
The BFP-Agoo revealed that an overheated electric fan caused the fire.