DFA: No repatriation request from Libya Pinoys
The Department of Foreign Affairs on Friday said that there are no requests for repatriation from Filipinos in Libya following the massive flooding in the country that displaced more than 30,000 individuals.
DFA Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs Eduardo de Vega said Filipinos in the affected areas in the North African country had been transferred to higher ground.
“They do not need to evacuate; they were transferred to high ground by their Libyan employers. No one is also asking for repatriation,” De Vega said.
“There are no Filipinos in shelters. All of them are staying in an actual house or apartment,” he added. There are an estimated 1,100 Filipinos in eastern Libya, of which 90 are residing in the areas badly hit by Storm Daniel.
There are also 30 Filipinos in the district of Dema, 50 in the district of Jabel al Akhdar, and 10 in Tobruk. According to De Vega, the situation in areas hit by Storm Daniel has improved as flood waters are already receding.
Based on the report of the Libyan Red Crescent, the death toll in the massive floodings in Libya has already breached the 11,000 mark.
The death toll is expected to increase as at least 10,100 people are reported missing in other parts of the country.
Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/
Follow us on social media