QC exec decries fire news coverage
A Quezon City councilor lambasted Fire Marshall Aristotle Bañaga Monday for allegedly allowing a television news team to violate protocols during a blaze that killed retired General George Ancheta last week.
Majority floor leader Dorothy Delarmente availed of the council’s privilege hour to ask the fire official to explain why his firefighters allegedly “took time” before responding.
She also hit Bañaga for allowing the TV crew to interview her aunt and a household helper while they were still reportedly in shock from surviving the blaze and while grieving the loss of Ancheta.
“Why is it that there was no yellow line? There are more lapses that violated some protocols. Why did you (Bañaga) allow the interview on the household help who just survived the incident?” she asked.
“And also my Aunt who was shocked and in her house dress without a bra being videoed? Where is your heart? Where is your compassion?” Delarmente said in her speech.
She said the journalists have no right to film and share the interview to “sensationalize” what happened. “Subjecting them (victims) to the judgment of viewers is shaming,” she pointed out.
Ancheta is a brother of Delarmente’s mother, former city councilor Beth Delarmente. His remains were found in the master’s bedroom of their two-story house in Barangay Tandang Sora close to midnight of 17 May. He was survived by his wife.
“You have lost empathy and compassion, interviewing my aunt and a survivor, who was confined for a day for
post-traumatic treatment after that incident,” Delarmente said.
She asked the Quezon City Department of Public Order and Safety to investigate and hold Bañaga responsible for their shaming. Vice Mayor Gian Sotto agreed to call a probe.
Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/
Follow us on social media