QC councilor lambasts fire chief for alleged fire protocol lapses
(Photo courtesy of Bureau of Fire Protection)
Quezon City Council Majority Floor Leader Dra. Dorothy “Doray’ Delarmente on Monday took the privilege hour to lambast Quezon City Fire Marshal Aristotle Bañaga, for allegedly allowing a media team to break fire incident protocols at a blaze that killed his uncle, Ret. Gen. George Ancheta, last week.
“Why is it that it took time for the first fire truck to arrive at the scene?” she asked, adding that Bañaga even allowed a television crew to interview her auntie Thelma while she was still in shock, and a househelp who had survived the blaze.
“Why is it that there was no yellow line? There are more lapses that violate some protocol. Why did you (Bañaga) allow (the television crew) to interview the household help who just survived the incident? And my Aunt who was shocked and in her house dress without a bra, being videoed? Where is your heart? Where is your compassion?” Delarmente demanded, referring to the fire marshal and the GMA TV station news team led by Jamie Santos.
“They have no right to film it and share it, to sensationalize. Subjecting them to the judgment of the viewers is shaming. Parang may dignidad pa mga suspect na napatay, nakablurred ang mukha pag nirereport niyo (Suspects who get killed are afforded more dignity, with blurred faces when you report them),” the fuming city councilor said.
“You have lost empathy and compassion, interviewing my aunt and a survivor, who was confined for day for post-traumatic treatment after that incident,” Delarmente added.
Ancheta, a brother of Delarmente’s mother, former City Councilor Beth Delarmente, died in the blaze. His charred body was found inside the master’s bedroom of their two-story old house at No. 9 William Street, Carmel III Village in Barangay Tandanga Sora at around 11 p.m. of 17 May 2023.
He is survived by his wife, two of their houseboys and two children who are based abroad.
Delarmente wants the Department of Public Order and Safety to conduct a probe into the incident and hold Bañaga responsible for the treatment experienced by her aunt and family, which Delarmente said should not happen again.
Quezon City Vice Mayor Gian Sotto condoled with Delarmente and agreed to call a probe.
Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/
Follow us on social media