The National Water Resources Board said Friday the water allocation from the Angat Dam had been reduced to 48 cubic meters per second from 50 cubic meters per second for April, as its officials say the water supply is still enough.
NWRB executive director Dr. Sevillo David Jr. said the Angat Dam, Metro Manila’s primary water source, still operates at a normal level of 202.3 meters.
However, he said board officials are closely monitoring its reserve level as the hottest days during El Niño are seen to start in June.
“We are preparing for El Niño, which will cause less rain and affect the reserve in Angat Dam and, therefore, water supply to households in Metro Manila.”
David said Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System had requested to increase allocation from Angat Dam to 52 cubic meters per second to prevent rotational water interruptions in some areas in Metro Manila.
“The board officials are always open to suggestions of concessionaires. At the same time, the NWRB continues to evaluate water conditions in the cities to see how much water allocation is needed for the next months, especially starting June,” David said.
As part of its water augmentation plan, he said the government could tap deep wells and treated water from other sources, including Laguna Lake. He shared that MWSS started treating water from the lake in 2020.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration says temperatures during the dry season could rise to dangerous levels from 33 degrees Celsius to 41 degrees Celsius, causing heat stroke and drought in water sources.
David reminds the public to conserve and reuse water as much as possible to help keep the water supply.
Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/
Follow us on social media