Kuwait deployment ban ruled out

Overseas Workers Welfare Administration chief Arnell Ignacio said Ranara’s body will arrive anytime this week

The Department of Migrant Workers on Wednesday said that they are not considering a deployment ban in Kuwait in response to the gruesome death of 35-year-old Filipina domestic helper Jullebee Ranara over the weekend.

“In so far as the deployment ban, we don’t fully accept that kind of suggestion, but we’re focusing on seeking additional mechanisms,” DMW spokesperson Toby Nebrida said during the Laging Handa public briefing.

Nebrida said they are seeking more protective measures with the Kuwait government to ensure the guaranteed safety and welfare of more than 100,223 overseas Filipino workers in the country.

More than 47,000 OFWs work in Kuwaiti households.

“If the protection mechanisms of our workers haven’t been strong, then we certainly will review how to provide those protection mechanisms for them,” Nebrida said.

Meanwhile, Overseas Workers Welfare Administration chief Arnell Ignacio said Ranara’s body will arrive anytime this week.

“With our swift action, Jullebee’s remains will be with our family on Thursday or Friday. We want to give them the time to grieve, which is why the government will be the one carrying some of the burden facing the family [so that] the family can have a respectable time to grieve,” Ignacio said in a radio interview.

To recall, Ranara’s burnt body was discovered along Al-Salmi Road over the weekend. The 17-year-old son of her employer confessed to the crime and is now under police custody.

The suspect was arrested within 24 hours following the discovery of the victim’s burnt body in a desert.

Local paper Arab Times said Ranara was reported to be pregnant.

DMW Secretary Susan Ople earlier said Ranara had complained to her family about the abusive treatment from the suspect.

The Embassy said it is now obtaining official confirmation from Kuwaiti authorities on the details and tragic circumstances surrounding the death of Ranara that were reported in English and Arabic news media in Kuwait.

“The Embassy greatly appreciates the swift action and response of the Kuwaiti Police, especially in the apprehension of the suspected perpetrator, and in the investigation of Ms. Ranara’s death,” it added.
With Jom Garner


Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/

Follow us on social media
Facebook: @tribunephl
Youtube: TribuneNow
Twitter: @tribunephl
Instagram: @tribunephl
TikTok: @dailytribuneofficial