Palace: Despite Sebastian resignation, probe into ‘illegal’ sugar import order continues
The investigation into the “illegal” sugar import order is being conducted by Deputy Executive Secretary for Legal Affairs lawyer Richard Palpalatoc, said Press Secretary Trixie Cruz Angeles.
Press Secretary Trixie Cruz-Angeles
Despite the resignation of Agriculture Undersecretary Leocadio Sebastian, the investigation into the “illegal” sugar import order that Sebastian had signed on behalf of President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. continues in order to determine the “liabilities” of other officials of the Sugar Regulatory Administration (SRA), Malacañang said on Friday night.
In a Facebook live session, Press Secretary Trixie Cruz Angeles said Sebastian’s resignation “affects the administrative case” but not the possible criminal case after he “signed for and on behalf” of the President Sugar Order no. 4.
“If the investigation reveals that there are criminal acts here, then he (Sebastian) will be appropriately charged. Pero hindi lang si Usec. Sebastian ang pinag-uusapan natin dito, may isang buong board, so titignan po natin yung liabilities ng ibang mga miyembro ng board na yun,” Angeles said.
The investigation into the “illegal” sugar import order is being conducted by Deputy Executive Secretary for Legal Affairs lawyer Richard Palpalatoc, she said.
Angeles emphasized that the results of the investigation have not come out yet, thus it has not been established whether “there had been criminal acts” committed by the Agriculture officials.
“However, in his [Sebastian’s] resignation may admissions siya, so kung saka-sakaling mayroong criminal case ito, then those admissions can be presented as evidence for the prosecution kung saka-sakaling may criminal case,” said Angeles.
Aside from Sebastian, the resolution had as its other signatories Administrator Hermenegildo Serafica, SRA Board vice chairperson; Roland Beltran, board member representing millers; and Aurelio Gerardo Valderrama, acting board member representing planters.
Angeles has repeatedly stated that the signed resolution ordering the importation of 300,000 metric tons of sugar had not been authorized by the President.
Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/
Follow us on social media