The Bureau of Fish and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) on Thursday issued a “red tide” warning on shellfishes after toxic organisms in the seawaters of Cancabato Bay in Tacloban were reported recently.
The BFAR said seawater samples collected were positive for paralytic food poisoning causing organisms.
“Based on laboratory examination conducted by the BFAR 8-Regional Marine Biotoxin Laboratory in Tacloban, seawater samples collected along Cancabato Bay in Tacloban City are positive for Pyrodinium bahamense,” an advisory from BFAR stated.
Shellfishes from the area were confirmed contaminated by the toxic substance.
“To safeguard human lives while waiting for the result of shellfish samples sent to the Central Marine Biotoxin Laboratory in Manila, we are issuing this warning as a precautionary to the public to refrain from gathering, selling and eating all types of shellfish,” the BFAR said.
Acetes — a small shrimp genus locally known as “alamang or hipon” from Concabato — is highly advised to be taken off the table.
The BFAR also clarified that fish, crab and shrimp can be consumed but all entrails must be removed before eating.