Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) chief Senior Supt. Royina Garma on Wednesday lamented the lack of support and commitment coming from the local government in ensuring the success and safety of the 2019 Sinulog Festival in Cebu City.
Garma said the city government has not given any support to policemen who would be deployed in the streets.
“There was verbal support, but there was no commitment,” Garma said.
“We have to make do with what we have now. Any assistance from the city government could really have been a big help to the police,” she added.
Garma earlier had asked the city government for more assistance after they added 5,000 personnel and 1,000 force village watchmen, to ensure the safety and security of the festivities.
Meanwhile, tourist arrivals for the Sinulog Festival are projected to increase by four percent this year.
Neneth Castillon, terminal operations head of GMR Megawide Cebu Airport Corp., said 223,000 tourists, both domestic and foreign, arrived for the Sinulog last year.
“Our projection is tourist arrivals for the Sinulog will increase by four percent this year, especially because of the participation of a Korean contingent in the grand parade and we have flights from Korea daily,” Castillon said.
Stephanie Rose Villarica, chief of Sinulog Foundation’s marketing and promotions, said the Wonju Dance Company from Korea is among the 24 contingents participating in the grand parade on 20 January.