The Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT) on Wednesday announced that the Philippines and South Korea have already reached an accord for the return on 9 January to their port of origin of some 6,500 tons of waste that were dumped in Misamis Oriental last July.
MICT Port Collector John Simon said the 51 containers of mostly toxic waste materials will be shipped back to Pyeongtaek City, South Korea.
“The expedited re-export is what Bureau of Customs wants and this is what our people are yearning for,” Simon said.
The waste materials will be re-exported after its consignee, Verde Soko Philippines Industrial Corporation, failed to secure appropriate import permit from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
The consignee also misdeclared the garbage shipments as plastic synthetic flakes.
The re-export of the said 51 containers is estimated to cost $47,430, specifically for inland and ocean freight charges.
To recall, the garbage shipment arrived at the MICT in July last year. It contained used dextrose tubes, soiled diapers, batteries, bulbs and electronic equipment and other hazardous materials.
The re-export will be in pursuant to the provisions of Republic Act 10863 (Customs Modernization and Tariff Act), Republic Act 6969 (Toxic Substances and Hazardous and Nuclear Wastes Control Act) and the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal.