‘Evolution not revolution’

284
President Rodrigo Roa Duterte delivers his speech during the Presidential Awards for Filipino Individuals and Organizations Overseas (PAFIOO) Awarding Ceremony at the Malacañan Palace on December 5, 2018. RICHARD MADELO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

President Rodrigo Duterte had shut the door on the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and its founder Jose Maria “Joma” Sison as he said peace negotiations have ended and that he is taking back his offer of safe passage to Sison if he returns to the Philippines.

In a speech during the Presidential Awards for Filipino Individuals and Organizations Overseas in Malacañang on Wednesday evening, Mr. Duterte said he is “no longer” interested to talk to the communists, particularly Sison.

“I warn you. I’ll make you swallow your dentures. You hypocrite,” he explained.

“You know, if you want to transform this country, you have to do it by evolution. It cannot be revolution. You should take it slowly,” he added.

Mr. Duterte said the only way that he may reconsider talks is if communist rebels first lay down their arms before the peace talks start.

“Rebels should drop the gun and we will talk. I’m no longer ready to talk to you. I’ve done it before. We will look like fools. You insult me, I insult you. We are like children,” he said.

So long Joma

The President went on to say that Sison is better off not setting foot on Philippine soil ever again.

“It’s better that you don’t come back. I promise you, I’ll slap you. If you insist, I’ll slap

you at the airport, son of a bitch,” he stressed.

Instead of listening to and believing Sison, who he says has a “convoluted brain,” the President called on the exiled communist leader’s supporters to surrender.

Last year, Mr. Duterte ordered the termination of the government’s peace negotiations with the CPP and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines for their alleged continuing offensive against the military and police.

He said revolution will never benefit the economy.

“From a convoluted brain, would you believe Sison?” he asked.

Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said Sison can’t blame anybody but himself for Mr. Duterte’s decision to call off negotiations.

“The President opened his heart to peace talks. He did a lot of things. He appointed those even identified with the Left in the Cabinet,” Panelo said. “But what did they do, these people in the Left? While negotiating with us, they have committed criminal acts, terrorist activities such as burning properties, exacting revolutionary taxes. They don’t have sincerity, so that resulted in Mr. Duterte losing his patience.”

Gov’t ready for atrocities

The Palace said security forces are ready against attacks from communist rebels to mark the CPP’s 50th anniversary.

“We are ready for that. The President doesn’t have to make any orders… meaning to say, the defense (department) is ready for any eventuality,” the Palace spokesman said.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana and the leadership in the Armed Forces of the Philippines opposed the holding of any truce with the communist rebels.

What are your thoughts?

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here