Marcos to appeal graft conviction

212
Imelda Marcos (File photo)

Former First Lady and Ilocos Norte Second District Rep. Imelda R. Marcos is going to appeal the Sandiganbayan decision convicting her of graft and sentencing her from six to 11 years imprisonment for the crime.

In a statement issued Friday, Marcos said Justice Lolong Lazaro, her interim legal counsel, has advised her that he intends to file a motion for reconsideration with the Sandiganbayan.

In its decision issued earlier on Friday, the Sandiganbayan 5th Division said the prosecution has proven that Marcos has “financial interest” in some private enterprises and is “guilty beyond reasonable doubt in seven counts of violation of Republic Act No. 3019, otherwise known as the ‘Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act”.

In the case information filed in 1991, Marcos was charged with 10 counts of graft for her alleged interests and participation in the management of the Vibur Foundation, Maler Establishment, Trinidad Foundation, Rayby Foundation, Palmy Foundation, Aguamina Foundation, and Avertina Foundation in Switzerland from 1978 to 1984.

However, as minister of Human Settlements, Metro Manila governor and member of the Interim Batasan Pambansa at the time, she was prohibited by law to take part in such businesses.

The Office of the Ombudsman also accused the wife of the late president Ferdinand E. Marcos of depositing hidden wealth amounting to almost $30 million in a Banque Paribas bank.

p: wjg

What are your thoughts?

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here