Mocha Uson vows to champion OFW

343
MOCHA Uson, the resigned PCOO assistant secretary, pledges to champion the cause of Filipino overseas workers. BOB DUNGO JR.

Resigned Presidential Communication Operations Office Assistant Secretary Mocha Uson confirmed on Wednesday her intention to run for an elective post in the coming May 2019 elections.

Appearing at the weekly media forum Kapihan sa Manila Bay at Café Adriatico in Malate, Manila, Uson said she would run as an independent candidate and will banner the protection of the interest of millions of overseas Filipino workers (OFW) “who had been contributing billions of dollars in remittances but are not receiving anything in return from the government.”

“It’s about time that someone must prioritize the welfare of the OFW who send huge sums of money (to the Philippines) but have not received any in return from the government like putting up a business to those who do not want to continue working abroad but plan on staying in the country but have no income to support their families,” Uson said.

However, she did not reveal which position she would seek in the next election but made hints she is eyeing a seat in the House of Representatives either to represent a district or a partylist.

She expressed confidence her 5.7 million social media followers would provide her an easy victory in an elective post. Being a newbie in the political arena, Uson said she discussed her plans with President Rodrigo Duterte who gave her assurance of a full support. Even presidential daughter and Davao City Mayor Sarah Duterte was also supportive of her political ambition, she added.

She also thanked the Commission on Elections (Comelec) for recognizing the role of social media in the upcoming polls as she described social media platforms as the source of “the real voice of the people.”

Meanwhile, Comelec spokesman James Jimenez, who was also guest at the forum, clarified that substitution of candidates is set until 29 November only.

The filing of the certificates of candidacy (CoC) will start on 11 up to 17 October. Jimenez stressed there is no extension in the filing and called on candidates to fill up the correct CoC intended for the post they are seeking.

Some of the common mistake of would-be candidates is filling up the wrong form.
“They are running for mayor but when the final list comes out, they are listed as vice mayor candidate because they filled up the wrong form,” he said. Jimenez explained although the candidacy will not be invalidated, the person who filed the CoC might be listed in the wrong position.

with Elmer N. Manuel

What are your thoughts?

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here