LONDON, United Kingdom– Juan Martin del Potro says he is proud to be playing in the same era as Rafael Nadal, but that burning admiration won’t prevent him from trying to derail the Spaniard’s Wimbledon campaign on Wednesday.
Del Potro returned to the quarter-finals at the All England Club for the first time since 2013 when he defeated Gilles Simon of France 7-6 (7/1), 7-6 (7/5), 5-7, 7-6 (7/5) on Tuesday.
Now the Argentine faces two-time Wimbledon champion Nadal, who allowed him just six games when they last met in the Roland Garros semi-finals in June.
That straight sets loss was the fifth-seeded del Potro’s 10th defeat in 15 meetings against the former world number one.
“Everybody admires Rafa as a competitor. He’s a fighter. He’s always trying to be positive and thinking in the next ball. Doesn’t matter if he misses or not,” said Del Potro.
“It’s too tough to see a guy in front of the net when they are always positive during the game. As a player, it’s amazing.
“He’s the No. 1. He has been making records every Grand Slam. I’m very proud to be in the same era as him and Roger Federer.”
You Might also like
By AFP — June 15, 2018 12:05 AMKRASNODAR, Russia — Spain’s World Cup preparations were thrown into turmoil on Wednesday as Real Madrid-bound coach Julen Lopetegui was fired on the eve of the tournament, just two days before their opening game in Russia. In a bombshell development which followed the naming of Lopetegui as Real’s new coach on Tuesday, the Spanish federation confirmed that the 2019 World Cup winners had sacked their coach and replaced him with Fernando Hierro. “We don’t have time to feel sorry for ourselves,” said Hierro, who was already working for the Spanish federation as sporting director. “The objective is to fight for a World Cup. The players have been working towards this for two years.” “I’ve told the players that we have a wonderful, exciting challenge and we can’t let this be an excuse to distract us from our dream.” Hierro appeared at a press conference alongside Spanish federation chief Luis Rubiales, who had earlier delivered the news of his decision to fire Lopetegui despite reported resistance from the Spain players. “Negotiating is legitimate but it took place without the RFEF being informed until five minutes before a press statement was released,” said Rubiales. “There has to be a message for all workers in the federation that there is a right way to do things.” Lopetegui had signed a new contract until 2020 just last month. “I am very sad but we have a magnificent team and hopefully we’ll win the World Cup,” Lopetegui told reporters on his departure from Spain’s training base in Krasnodar. Hours later, Hierro, 50, was named as an emergency replacement despite having only one season’s managerial experience in the Spanish Second Division with Real Oviedo. Spain are due to face European champions Portugal in Sochi on Friday before taking on Iran and Morocco in Group B. There were fears Lopetegui’s appointment by the European champions could open up old divisions between the Real Madrid and Barcelona factions in the Spain squad. For the first time since 2006, there are more players from Madrid in a Spanish squad for a major tournament, with a six-strong Real contingent and just Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba and Sergio Busquets from Barca, as well as Barcelona legend Andres Iniesta, who ended his 16-year career at the Camp Nou last month. “Lopetegui’s decision was inopportune, unexpected and rushed,” former Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernandez, who won the 2010 World Cup, Euro 2012 and Euro 2016 with Spain, told Marca at a pre-tournament event in Moscow. “It was a surprise for everyone but Rubiales reacted very well. He has looked after the federation, which should be above any individual.” However, according to reports in the Spanish media, the players tried to intervene at the last minute to prevent Rubiales sacking Lopetegui. Lopetegui, who took over in 2016, never tasted defeat in his 20 games as Spain boss. “I have spoken with the players and what I can guarantee is that the players will do everything in their power, along with the new technical team, to take the team as far as possible,” said Rubiales. Spain and Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos appealed for unity between the fans and players. “We are the national team. We represent a badge, colors, a fanbase, a country. The responsibility and commitment are with and for you. Yesterday, today and tomorrow, together,” tweeted Ramos. La Roja were among the favorites to lift the trophy this summer but the astonishing developments in the past two days could have a devastating effect on their chances. “It completely surprised me, I don’t know the background of the decision, but two days before the first World Cup game, it’s amazing,” said Germany coach Joachim Loew. “There must certainly be unrest within the federation and the team.” The Spanish drama came as the other 31 teams in the competition put the finishing touches to their preparations. Hosts Russia kick off the extravaganza in Thursday’s opener in Group A in Moscow.
By AFP — June 14, 2018 12:05 AMSTUTTGARD, Germany-- Heavy rain at the Stuttgart Cup on Tuesday threatened to wash away first-round play, with just three matches completed before the skies opened. There was home disappointment as two-time finalist Philip Kohlschreiber went down to Denis Istomin (UZB) 7-6 (7/2), 7-6 (7/3). The German lost title a bid in 2013 against Italian Fabio Fognini and was beaten two years ago in the final by Dominic Thiem. It was the first time since 2010 in the national automobile capital that the German had fallen in an opening match here. “I could not work out his serve,” the 34-year-old said. “As the match went on, I felt like I was playing worse and worse.” Defeat marked a second straight first-round exit for number 22 Kohlschreiber, who also fell in his French Open start to Croatian Borna Coric. Istomin, ranked 100th, levelled his Stuttgart record at 1-1 and next faces German Florian Mayer. Hungarian Marton Fucsovics, Geneva title-winner on clay the week before Roland Garros, began his grass campaign by defeating American qualifier Denis Kudla 6-3, 6-4. French veteran Gilles Simon won a first-time meeting with Italian Matteo Viola, a qualifier, 6-0, 6-3. The early afternoon downpour prevented the start of a match already delayed from Monday, with Canadian teenaged sixth seed Denis Shapovalov due to take on Indian qualifier Prajnesh Gunneswaren. Roger Federer is set to start in the second round on Wednesday after a bye, taking a 5-0 record -- three of the wins have come on grass -- into his match against German Mischa Zverev. The Swiss can displace Rafael Nadal from the ATP number one ranking for the second times this season if he reaches Sunday’s Stuttgart final as he returns to the circuit after skipping the clay campaign for a second straight year.
By Daily Tribune — June 13, 2018 12:09 AMColorManila is bringing both the CM Challenge Run and the CM Paradise Run to Cebu and Iloilo, respectively, for two weekends this month. CM Challenge Cebu is scheduled on June 17 at the Cebu Business Park, located at the Ayala Center Cebu. The CM Paradise Run Iloilo will be held at the Vista Mall Iloilo, at Camella Savannah, located at Otoh, Iloilo City, on June 24.