A father and his three children died when their house was engulfed in flame in Sultan Kudarat town, Maguindanao province early morning yesterday, authorities said.
Chief Supt. Graciano Mijares, director of Police Regional Office-Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, identified the fatalities as Daemus Araneta, 46; and his children, Vina, 8, Dagul, 6, and Mujahid, 4 — all elementary school pupils.
Reports said Araneta’s wife is working in the Middle East as a domestic helper.
Initial investigation showed the fire broke out at Sitio Niyog at 2:30 a.m. from one of the houses that was made from light materials.
At least six houses were destroyed by the blaze.
The Bureau of Fire Protection had yet to establish the cause of the fire.
Meanwhile, the victims were laid to rest yesterday in accordance with the Islamic tradition.
You Might also like
By Anthony Ching — June 27, 2018 12:41 AMThe country’s flag carrier, Philippine Airlines (PAL), has launched its first direct flight from the Puerto Princesa International Airport to Incheon, South Korea, the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) announced yesterday. “This is a historic occasion in line with the government’s promise to lure more international tourists to come to Puerto Princesa,” CAAP director general Capt. Jim Sydiongco said in a statement. Sydiongco, however, clarified these PAL flights would be initially available from June 23 to October 27. The airline company will use an A321 type single-aisle aircraft that could accommodate up to 199 passengers and 12 tons of cargo. It will depart regularly from Puerto Princesa by 5 a.m. and arrive in Incheon by 6:30 a.m. Meanwhile, its turnaround flight will depart from Incheon at 8:25 a.m. and arrive in Puerto Princesa at 12:05 p.m. daily. With the launch of these direct flights, more tourists will now be able to access and fly directly to Puerto Princesa, a favorite destination known for its famous white sand beaches. Puerto Princesa International Airport was inaugurated on May 3, 2017. It has a seating capacity of 1,500 passengers and can accommodate two wide-body and four small aircraft at once. Last year, the airport served a total of 1,790,115 passengers — 1,767,157 domestic and 22,958 international passengers.
By Daily Tribune — June 27, 2018 09:10 PMTHE Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) will inaugurate on July 2 a new passenger terminal building at the Maasin Airport in Southern Leyte, effectively upgrading the airport to \"Principal Class 2\" status from being just a community airport. CAAP spokesperson Eric Apolonio told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) on Tuesday that Principal Class 2 airports are used for domestic flights, serving propeller aircraft or jet aircraft, with passenger capacities of below 100 but more than 19. Maasin Airport, the only community airport serving Southern Leyte, also served as an alternative to the Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport in Tacloban for the delivery of relief goods and medicines during the onslaught of Typhoon Yolanda a few years ago. The airport\'s upgrade also aims to meet the increasing airport demand in the area, according to CAAP. Apolonio said the project cost PHP57.889 million, and was completed in March 2017. \"Factors, such as aerodrome certification, runway lights, and markings are required before an airport becomes commercially operational,\" Apolonio said when asked why it took more than a year for CAAP to inaugurate the new passenger terminal building. p: wjg
By PNA — June 19, 2018 08:25 PMA Vietnamese-flagged cargo vessel ran aground at a portion of the Sarangani Bay off General Santos City and damaged 200 artificial reef domes on Monday. Substantial damages on artificial reefs installed near the shores of Barangay Dadiangas South resulted from the grounding of cargo vessel HTK Energy around noon, Omar Saikol, assistant superintendent of the Sarangani Bay Protected Seascape, said Tuesday. The vessel was supposed to dock at the Makar port when it hit the artificial reefs, Saikol said citing initial reports from the Philippine Coast Guard. As a result of the incident, the Sarangani protected area superintendent’s office and the city government commissioned a team of divers on Tuesday to check the extent of the damage on artificial reef domes. Based on the initial finding by divers from the City Environment and Natural Resources Office (CENRO), Saikol said “almost 200 artificial reefs” were destroyed by the vessel’s grounding. “We’re getting video footage of the damages to facilitate the proper assessment and imposition of possible penalties or fines,” he told reporters. Katherine Lopez Bitco, CENRO diver and environment management specialist, said the damaged artificial reefs were located about 20 meters from the shore. Bitco said the area is near the main beach of the city’s Queen Tuna Park in Barangay Dadiangas South. The damaged concrete artificial reef domes, which were installed a decade ago by a group of divers in coordination with local government units and private groups, have encrusted corals. “The damage is quite extensive and the area could reach 100 to 200 square meters,” Bitco said. Saikol said the damaged artificial reefs served as habitat of various fish species thriving in the area. “The area hosts many fish species and we saw schools of fish surrounding the reefs. Now they’re in peril because of this,” he said. The official said they will immediately recommend the convening of the Sarangani Bay’s Protected Area Management Board to further assess the damages and impose possible sanctions against the vessel. He said the board will determine whether there’s a need to temporarily “detain” the vessel pending the resolution of the case. “It would be difficult to hold the owner as well as its officers and crew accountable if the vessel would be allowed to leave the port,” he said. p: wjg