ISTANBUL, Turkey — Twenty-four people were killed when a train derailed in northwest Turkey this weekend, Deputy Prime Minister Recep Akdag said on Monday, a sharp jump from the previous toll of 10.
The state-run Anadolu news agency quoted Akdag as saying search operations this morning had now been completed at the wreck of the train, which derailed early Sunday evening in the Tekirdag region while heading towards Istanbul.
Turkish media quoted Health Minister Ahmet Demircan as saying 338 people required hospital treatment after the accident with 124 still hospitalized.
Reports said that the train, carrying 362 passengers, had derailed as recent heavy rain caused the ground beneath the track to erode away.
Transport Minister Ahmet Arslan said that the latest checks on the rails had been made in April, Anadolu reported.
You Might also like
By Daily Tribune — July 3, 2018 12:20 AMWINDHOEK -- The Namibian Ministry of Health and Social Services has confirmed the death of a 45-year-old man who was diagnosed last week with the H1N1 virus, commonly known as swine flu. The man, whose identity has not yet been revealed, died in the Windhoek Catholic Hospital on Friday, the Ministry’s acting Deputy Permanent Secretary, David Uirab, said here Sunday. Uirab said that the number of H1N1 cases diagnosed so far stood at seven on Friday, including a six-month-old boy, who was admitted and treated for a flu-like illness on June 22 and later tested positive for the virus. The Ministry in a media statement last week said it had classified the virus as seasonal influenza after the 2009 pandemic. The virus has been circulating in the last decade, all year round. However, cases peak during winter, meaning people will get ill from this particular strain. The virus is primarily transmitted through coughing and sneezing or direct contact with surfaces contaminated with infected droplets. People most at risk are children under the age of five years, elderly people over 65 years, pregnant women and people with weak immune systems. Bernama
By AFP — June 22, 2018 12:20 AMBritish Prime Minister Theresa May survived another knife-edge Brexit vote in parliament on Wednesday but came under fresh pressure from the European Union to step up the withdrawal negotiations. May saw off a rebellion by pro-European MPs on a flagship draft law by offering last-minute reassurances over the role parliament would play if she fails to agree a Brexit deal. In doing so, she concluded months of acrimonious debate over the EU (Withdrawal) Bill, which sets the legal framework for Brexit and can now finally become law. A defeat would have been humiliating for the prime minister just days before an EU summit in Brussels, where she will seek to make further progress in the withdrawal negotiations. May is still publicly aiming for a deal by October, to allow time for the British and European parliaments to ratify it before Britain withdraws from the EU in March 2019. But the debate in the House of Commons over the implications of a “no deal” reflects concern on both sides of the Channel at the pace of talks. The EU this week raised the alarm over the continued lack of agreement on the key issue of the Irish border, and also knocked back London’s proposals for the future security partnership. EU leaders meanwhile will be asked at the June 28-29 summit to step up their contingency plans for the possibility of no deal, according to draft conclusions seen by AFP. May has promised parliament a vote on Britain’s exit deal, but has been engaged in months of negotiations with MPs in her Conservative party over what happens if it is rejected.
By Associated Press — July 8, 2018 12:20 AMPHUKET, Thailand — Divers who entered the wreck of a tour boat that sank in a storm off the southern Thai resort island of Phuket described heartbreaking scenes of bodies of children found in the arms of their mothers, as the search continued Saturday for 18 mostly Chinese tourists missing in a disaster that has left dozens dead. The death toll from Thursday’s tragedy climbed to 38, in Thailand’s biggest tourist-related disaster in years. It was not clear how many of the dead and missing were Chinese. The previous announced death toll was 33, with authorities saying all of those victims were Chinese. Phuket Gov. Norraphat Plodthong announced at a news conference on Saturday afternoon that the death toll had climbed further, to 38, with 18 missing. “It’s very difficult to see ... it’s traumatic, it’s tragic but the best thing to do, our job as divers, is to bring back the bodies to their families,” diver Philip Entremont told reporters before resuming the search Saturday. The boat, with 105 people, including 93 tourists, capsized and sank after it was hit by 5-meter (16-foot) waves. The death toll jumped Friday after the navy sent divers to the wreck. In images shortly after the sinking, rescued people sat in large rubber life rafts surrounded by churning seas. Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, the leader of Thailand’s military government, expressed his “sympathies and deepest condolences” to the families of the dead. The government will “exert all efforts to find those still missing and provide support to all survivors of this tragic event,” he said in a statement. Reports in Thai media said police charged the owner and captain of the stricken ship with carelessness causing death and injury.